- In reality, exploiting the deep seabed resources has many disadvantages compared to land-based mining, such as extensive initial investment in vessel construction and the cost for developing equipment that can operate stably under conditions unique to the deep seabed, for example, high water pressure.
- Draft regulation 49: We would like to retain the reference to underwater noise and marine litter.
- Suspension of exploitation activities should only occur when there is ‘serious harm’
- Japan stated that “provisional approval does not guarantee the commencement of the exploitation. In other words, we understand that there is broad agreement that in effect, in order to commence the exploitation of the resources of the Area formal approval of the finalized exploitation regulation is indispensable.”
- The delegation stated that “we all need to continue our utmost efforts to adopting the rules and regulations.”
- We must try to get regulations in place by July.
- Recognized that “the ISA is an organization in transition to an exploitation phase and the Council works towards adoption of regulations for exploitation of mineral resources in the Area” which they “fully support.”