Call to Action
1. The DSCC calls on the International Seabed Authority to ensure the drafting and adoption of strong conservation-oriented regulations for deep-seabed mining in international waters. These should include requirements for:
- strategic environment management plans
- environmental impact assessments and site-specific environmental management plans
- funding mechanisms (essential for monitoring, control and compliance) including the terms of reference for liability and sustainability funds, and defining “serious harm” to the marine environment to avoid significant adverse impacts
- transparency, including data standards, provisions to ensure public accountability and reporting, and public availability of environmental data.
2. The DSCC calls on the relevant governments to draft a scientifically robust proposal for a strategic environment management plan for the Mid-Atlantic Ridge and Atlantic Basin for delivery to the International Seabed Authority.